101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#84: What's Good for the Goose: Personalized PD Pathways

Have you ever heard the saying that teachers are the worst students? As a teacher who participates in professional development and as a leader who designs and implements professional development (PD), I can attest to the accuracy of this statement. I will fully admit that I am guilty of doing the following during PD time,
  • Designing lessons
  • Grading papers
  • Checking emails
  • Daydreaming
  • Wondering "why am I learning this?"
  • Thinking about all of the other things I could be doing with this time
  • Participating in totally-unrelated activities
Sounds familiar? Based on the number of laptop screens that I saw at my last PD session, I think most, if not all of you, can probably relate. 

It is time that we rethink the way we approach professional development. If one-size-fits-all doesn't work for our students, why do we continue to think it will work for adults? Last year our admin team was really excited to launch cross-departmental professional learning teams focused on developing SEL competencies. We learned a lot from this experience. Some teams loved meeting and sharing ideas. Other teams thought it was a complete waste of time. Some teachers were passionate about SEL and began implementing it immediately. Others didn't see the connection between what they were learning and their own classrooms. Our teachers were coming to us from different places. They each brought different backgrounds, experiences, prior knowledge, passions, goals, and priorities just like our students do. 


What's Good for the Goose, Is Good for the Gander

If you are familiar with my blog, you probably already know that I am really passionate about human motivation. Most everything that I do as an educator involves motivating others (and myself) to do something. There are a number of theories that attempt to explain human motivation. I tend to gravitate towards the Self-Determination Theory (SDT). It is a growth-oriented theory that postulates that humans are motivated by three innate and universal psychological needs: autonomy, competence, and relatedness. In a nutshell, 

  • Autonomy: People need to feel in control of their behaviors and goals.

  • Competence: People need to feel that they are capable of achieving their goals. 

  • Relatedness: People need to feel connected to other people. 

In the last year, I spent a lot of time reflecting on how I meet these needs in my students. I didn't, however, consider how I needed to meet these needs of the teachers while developing their professional development opportunities. This realization gave me a fresh lens through which to view how I was offering professional development. I TOLD them what they needed to learn, I TOLD them what their goal needed to be. I even  TOLD them what group they were to be a part of. I completely negated their need for autonomy. By taking away their ability to choose, I took away their voice. 


Supporting Self-Determination in Professional Development

I struggled with how to reconcile our teacher's need for self-determination and the needs of our organization. I still needed everyone to row in the same direction. So the question became, How can we provide choice within our organizational framework that honors each teacher's need for self-determination?


As a leadership team, we decided to tackle this head on by designing personalized learning professional development pathways. 

  • We broke down our district's strategic plan into four areas of emphasis: Student Success, Student Well-Being, Workforce Excellence, and Collaborative Partnerships. 

  • The PD in each of these areas is led by a Division Leader.

  • Teachers can CHOOSE which pathway is best for them. This was purposefully designed so that no matter which pathway they want to take, we are all headed in the same direction. 

  • These pathways can be used as an action step for their personal goals. 


I chose to lead the Student Success (Personalized Learning) Pathway. My sessions will address the following questions and topics:

  • What is Personalized Learning? In this session, we will explore the factors that influence student motivation and ways we can increase student motivation through personalized learning. You can see my presentation here. 

  • What is Blended Learning? In this session, we will learn about how to personalize learning through the blended learning model. Different types of blended learning will be discussed, with an emphasis on the station-rotation model.

  • How can we provide more meaningful feedback? In this session, we will explore different ways to provide meaningful feedback to students in a manner that is sustainable for the teacher.

  • How can I use this in my own classroom? In this session, we will explore how we can create a more personalized learning experience for our students. This will be a flex day assignment involving an online discussion. 


In the end, if we end up in the same destination does it matter how we get there? We can all work towards the same goal in a way that honors our individual strengths, needs, and interests. By providing choice in the PD process we are empowering teachers to better serve the unique needs of their students. I'd say that is a win-win!  I would be VERY interested in your feedback on the PD process. What is the best PD session or opportunity you have attended? What made it effective or meaningful? Please share in the comments below. 


Be Well,

Cori 


Last Post: #83 Equity in Grading: Fostering Intrinsic Motivation


I am trying to reach more educators and build my readership! Please consider subscribing to my blog. I post two posts per month. That's it! If you received this in your inbox, I have a new website! Check out https://ablendedlearningjourney.com/ for additional resources! Plus, you can now find me on TikTok. Follow me @corischwarzrock for psych-related content posted throughout each week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module