101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#82: Equity in Grading: We Don't Talk About Zeros

This is Part 3 in a series on grading and equity.  Throughout this series, I will explore ways we can improve grading practices to increase student achievement and well-being. 

Thank you for joining me for this series! This is the 3rd post in a 4-Part series tackling one of the most emotionally-charged topics in education, grading.  As we enter into a learning space together, I am going to ask that we keep the following presuppositions in mind:

  • We can learn from others even when we disagree with them.

  • The best interest of our students is at the center of our decision-making. 

  • It is possible to agree with something in principle but struggle with what it looks like in practice.

  • Change is not always a bad word. However, meaningful change must be grounded in research not common sense or intuition. 


See if you can answer the following riddle: I am worthless as a leader, but when I follow a group their strength increases tenfold. By myself I am practically nothing, neither positive nor negative. 


Were you able to figure out the answer? Here's a clue. It relates directly to the topic of this post. If you answered "zero," you would be correct! In this post, we are going to tackle the sticky topics of zeros and minimum grading. 

Problem with Zeros

Equitable grading is composed of three pillars. Equitable grading is accurate, resistant to bias, and promotes intrinsic motivation. According to Feldman (2019), "our grading must use calculations that are mathematically sound, easy to understand, and correctly describe a student's level of academic performance" (p.73). Zeros can adversely affect the accuracy of grading because, o
ftentimes, teachers assign zeros to communicate that either an assignment was not completed or to communicate that there was a behavior problem like late work or plagiarism.

Here's a tough pill to swallow, when we assign zeros for any reason other than student mastery it undermines the accuracy of the grade. It does not represent the student's understanding of the content. 


I can practically hear you screaming at your screen right now. I know the first time I was exposed to this idea, I shut down, threw my hands up in the air, and shouted (in my mind, of course) WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? I CAN'T GRADE SOMETHING THE STUDENT DIDN'T TURN IN AND IF I DON'T GRADE IT THEY WON'T DO IT! Sound familiar? 


The Trouble with Zeros

Full disclosure, I still give zeros. I use them as placeholders for work that is not completed. Once the assignment is turned in I replace the zero. The concept of minimum grading is still one that I struggle with in practice. However, I recognize this is an area of growth as I continue to grow as an educator.


There is a significant movement in education today to end the practice of assigning zero for work that was not completed and to replace it with a minimum grade. The rationale for this change is two-fold. First, the practice of assigning zeros  is not mathematically sound. The traditional 0-100 scale is  orientated towards failure. Not sure what I mean? Take a look at the table below. In both cases, the submitted work is the same, but the grading outcomes from the student are radically different. This problem is compounded when a teacher does not accept late work. It becomes very hard (or even impossible) for a student to bring their grade up, but it sure is easy for a zero to bring it down (Reeves, 2004)!

Secondly, there is no evidence that supports the claim that using failing grades as a punishment motivates students. In fact, research has shown the exact opposite. According to Guskey (2009), "no studies support the use of low grades as punishment. Instead of prompting greater effort, low grades often cause students to withdraw from learning." 


Minimum Grading Movement

The "Minimum Grading Movement" attempts to mitigate this disparity within a traditional grading system by making the grading system proportional. For example, if the range for an A is 10 points (90-100) then that range should be consistent for all of the other grades. This would mean that the grade range for a F would be from 50-59. If the student failed to turn in an assignment, the grade of 50 would be recorded in the grade book. This intervention targets a small sub-group of students such as those who dug themselves a nice big hole at the beginning of a grading period. According to a "study of 7 years and 343,000 grades found that minimum grading increased student motivation for those students who were not consigned to failure because of a catastrophic first quarter" (Feldman 2019 p. 88). 


A minimum grade leads to greater accuracy, but it can be harder for students and their caregivers to understand. There are a few ways to "grade" something that wasn't turned in. You can leave it blank. You can tag something as missing in some LMS's. Another option is to assign a non-numerical symbol for missing work like an "M." This facilitates communication without impacting grade accuracy. 


I alluded to this above but I really struggle with this concept. As a veteran teacher, I have years of experience coloring my perception of grading and student behavior. It is important to identify and examine each lens that we use to determine the impact it is having on our students. 

As I was working through this information, I found that I reacted to it differently based on the "hat" I was wearing. I am a parent, teacher, and administrator. Here's where I landed:


  • As a Parent, I assume that it is accurate when I check my son's grades online. If an assignment is missing I do not always know if he was supposed to complete it or not. Just like the students, parents have to learn and navigate differences in grading policies. Upfront communication is key. 

  • As a Teacher, I want to communicate that a student did not complete an assignment and that it will affect their grade if they don't complete it. I want to give them the opportunity to demonstrate mastery, but it needs to be in a way that is sustainable for me. As a professional, I want to have the flexibility to change my policies based on differing needs of my students. 

  • As an Administrator, I need to make sure that my teachers' grades are accurate. This includes a grading system that is fair and equitable. Communication is key!  No one should be surprised by a grade at the end of the grading period.


Teaching is a MESSY process. So is grading. There is no one perfect answer that will address all needs. This post was not meant to be a directive. It was meant to raise awareness about the many factors affecting the accuracy of grades and to explore ways to make grades more accurate measures of student learning. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this topic! Leave them in the comment section below. 


Be Well,

Cori 


I am trying to reach more educators and build my readership! Please consider subscribing to my blog. I post two posts per month. That's it! If you received this in your inbox, I have a new website! Check out https://ablendedlearningjourney.com/ for additional resources. I am excited to now be able to offer "A Blended Learning Journey" merch! Over 50% of all proceeds will go to local charities in the Chicagoland area.


Other Posts in this Series:

#81: Equity in Grading: Moving Forward

#83: Equity in Grading: Fostering Intrinsic Motivation 


Resources:

Adams, K. (2022, April 22). To close the educational equity gap, teachers have to understand their position of power - Edsurge News. EdSurge. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.edsurge.com/news/2022-03-21-to-close-the-educational-equity-gap-teachers-have-to-understand-their-position-of-power

Alex, P. (2022, June 27). Time to pull the plug on traditional grading? Education Next. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.educationnext.org/time-to-pull-plug-on-traditional-grading-supporters-say-mastery-based-grading-could-promote-equity/

Anderson, J. (2019, December 11). Harvard Edcast: Grading for equity. Harvard Graduate School of Education. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/19/12/harvard-edcast-grading-equity

Donald, B. (2012, May 10). Stanford Psychologist: Achievement goals can be shaped by environment. Stanford University. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/may/shape-achievement-goals-051012.html

Faraj, K. (2021, April 23). How to set up mastery-based grading in your classroom. Cult of Pedagogy. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/mastery-based-grading/

Feldman, J. (2019). Grading for equity: What it is, why it matters, and how it can transform schools and classrooms. Corwin, a SAGE Company.

Gonzalez, J. (2020, October 5). How accurate are your grades? Cult of Pedagogy. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/accurate-grades/

Hough, L. (2019). Grade expectations. Harvard Graduate School of Education. Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/ed/19/05/grade-expectations

Professional Resources: Grading and Equity Resources. LibGuides. (n.d.). Retrieved August 31, 2022, from https://libguides.centralcatholichigh.org/professional/grading


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module