101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

Are you looking for another blended learning strategy to try that provides your students with choice and a voice? Consider designing a playlist for your students. A playlist is an interactive digital assignment that provides students with a roadmap for how to achieve their learning goals. I am really excited about incorporating playlists because it allows for a more personalized and differentiated learning experience for my students. They also require the students to assume ownership of their own learning because they choose which direction they take on their learning path.

When I begin the process of designing a learning playlist, I focus on the following questions:
  • Learning Outcomes:What do my students need to know at the end of this lesson?
  • Assessment: How will I know if my students know what they need to know?
  • Choice: What choices can I give my students in regards to the time, place or modality of learning that they can engage in?
  • Teacher: How can I best support my students during this process?

These questions help ensure that I remain focused on the value of each component of the lesson - and I don't get sucked in to activity that is fun but maybe not meaningful.

This year I developed a playlist for part of my Clinical Psychology unit. The learning outcomes for this playlist are to:

1. Discuss the major diagnostic categories of disorders and their corresponding labels.
2. Describe major treatment orientations used in therapy (e.g., behavioral, cognitive, humanistic) and how those orientations influence therapeutic planning.

For this lesson, I broke the "must-know" content into 4 different topics: treatment applications, psychotherapy, CBT, and biomedical treatments. Then, this is where the choice comes in, the students were given (3) 45 minute class periods to complete the "this" or "that" for each topic. To provide some context, I do touch on therapies while teaching the specific disorders. This lesson is designed to hit the topics that need more emphasis and wrap up the unit . 

Here is an overview of each topic. You can also click on this link to see the handout (including activity handouts) that I provided to the students.

Topic

This

That

Treatment

Invisibilia Podcast: "The Remote Control Brain"

Listen to the podcast.  After listening to the episode, please answer the reflection questions.

Reading -"Obsessed: by Allison Bratz

Chapters 21-24 and answer the processing questions.



Psychotherapy

Crash Course Psychology:  Getting Help:Psychotherapy *

Access the following EdPuzzle to learn more about the psychoanalytic, behavioral and cognitive approaches  to therapy.

https://youtu.be/6nEL44QkL9w

Psychotherapy Sketch Notes

Access the following website to learn more about psychotherapy: https://www.verywellmind.com/psychotherapy-4157172

Then, complete a set of sketch notes on the topic using the template provided in the resources.

Cognitive Therapy

Cognitive Therapy

1. Watch this brief video and answer the questions. Please record your answers on the back of this page.

2. Apply it to your own life using the ABCDE exercise. (handout) 

Treatment Plan

1. Watch this brief video and answer the questions on the handout.  

2. Choose an anxiety disorder to treat in a fictional patient.  Decide which of the cognitive therapies you feel would best address this issue and develop a treatment plan for the patient. You can use any type of cognitive therapy.(handout)

Biomedical Approaches

Concept Map:  Biomedical Approaches 

1. Access the following web page & read about the different types of Biomedical Therapies.  Once you are down reading the information, close the window.

2. Open up the Biomedical Therapies Google Draw Assignment & record everything that you remember about each type of therapy.  Try and do this without looking at the original website!  

EdPuzzle: Crash Course Psychology Biomedical Approaches *

Access the following EdPuzzle to learn more about the biomedical approaches to therapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2efaHgJ93A



* For some reason, I can no longer publicly share my EdPuzzles. I shared a YouTube link for each video. If you use EdPuzzle, you can search for the video by name and mine should come up.

There are few silver linings this year, but one thing that I am thankful for is that this new hybrid, remote, HyFlex learning environment has forced me to look at my curriculum differently. I know that I am a stronger teacher today than I was last August. Thanks for taking the time to read this post! I'd love to hear your ideas for other activities to include in this playlist - or your ideas for another playlist altogether.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module