101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#46. Moving Forward: Effective and Efficient Grading Practices

How many hours per week do you spend grading outside of the traditional school day? 5, 10 or more? According to Catlin Tucker, the biggest obstacles to teacher innovation are a lack of time and energy. In 2020-21 teachers are being asked to innovate ALL THE TIME to meet the needs of their students in a totally new learning environment. When a teacher is struggling to get by, they do not have the mental energy needed to try new instructional strategies or tools and in her book Balance with Blended Learning (pp. 30) Tucker suggests that teachers ask themselves the following questions to prompt reflection and innovation:
  • Where are they investing their time and energy?
  • Is that investment paying off?
  • Are there aspects of their jobs that they invest time into energizing or draining?
  • If they could spend less time doing one aspect of their jobs, what would it be?
  • If they could spend more time doing one aspect of their jobs, what would it be?
When I reflected on these questions I realized that I love designing lessons and working one-on-one with my students. I do not like grading "completion" assignments and I hate grading on the weekend. Therefore, this year I have been implementing changes that allow me to do what I do love better and to change the way I approach those parts of my job that I didn't love.

Here are some strategies that can bring balance to your life while still providing your students with the feedback they need.

Side-by-Side Grading
If you have followed my blog you know that I am a huge fan of side-by-side grading. Side-by-side grading involves moving the practice of assessing out of your home or office and into your classroom. Instead of spending my weekend grading, I sit with each of my students and grade assignments with them. This provides the students with valuable feedback and the opportunity to ask me questions during our class period. There are a number of ways to build this time into your lessons including station rotations, playlists and flipped lessons. I reserve my in-class grading times for assignments that are grading-intensive and high-impact for the students. It typically takes me about (3) 45-minute class periods to meet with all of my students. It has taken longer during remote instruction because the transitions take longer; however, I believe it is vitally important to meet with my remote students individually as often as possible.

Another benefit of this strategy is that it can put the onus on the students. Consider requiring the student to participate in the assessment process by asking them to reflect on their learning before sitting down together. This could involve them self-grading on a rubric or reflecting on their own learning (Metacognition Guide). For example, I often use my side-by-side grading time to grade Free Response Questions (FRQ's) for AP Psychology. I noticed that I was spending a lot of time writing comments that no one was reading - which was both frustrating and ineffective! Now I ask the students to do a little pre-work before meeting to grade their assignment. They circle the term, underline the definition and place a star next to the application. This makes it easier for me to grade and shifts the responsibility of learning onto the learner.

Flash Feedback
Let's imagine it takes 10 minutes for you to grade a writing assignment. If you have 150 students, this would take 25 hours to complete. Now multiply this by the number of written assignments that you assign every semester. This is a HUGE chunk of your time. Now, let's be honest, how many of your students do you think take the time to critically read your feedback? Is it worth the time that you have invested in grading their assignments? Is there something else worthwhile that you could be doing with your time instead that could pay greater dividends?

At the beginning of the year, I listened to a podcast by Cult of Pedagogy called "Flash Feedback: How to Provide More Meaningful Feedback in Less Time." In this episode, author and teacher Matthew Johnson explains his process for grading effectively and efficiently called Flash Feedback. 

According to Johnson, there are four characteristics to Flash Feedback.
1. It focuses on one or two learning objectives.
2. The students do the heavy lifting and the teacher guides the process. The students should be the ones doing the creation and revision, not the teacher.
3. Leverage systems and technologies to help you manage the process. For example, provide the students with pre-work that they need to complete before you meet or create a predictable schedule for the students to know when and how the feedback will be given.
4. There is a spillover plan for students who need additional support. Some kids will be absent, some will need additional support. Be sure to build a buffer of time into your lesson.
(Source: https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/flash-feedback/)


What this looks like in reality is that I don't grade everything on every assignment.
 I focus on a few learning objectives and those are the only things that I provide feedback on. This allows me to provide very targeted feedback in an easily digestible way for the students. For example, if I were a language teacher assessing a students use of the subjunctive tense I wouldn't correct their use of accents. Another option could be to ask the students to do some pre-work to make the feedback process more efficient by asking THEM to highlight examples of the subjunctive before they even sit down to meet with you. 

Tech to the Rescue

  • Consider recording your feedback to the students. Canvas provides an option to leave audio or video feedback. In my experience the kids are more likely to listen to the feedback than read it. It becomes a conversation instead of a critique. You can even ask that they reply back to you!
  • Choose self-grading options whenever possible. I use a combination of forced choice quizzes and written assessments in my class. Self-grading quizzes provide immediate feedback to the students and allow me to use my time to focus on other tasks. Some of the self-grading tools that I have successfully used in the past are EdPuzzle, Google Form Quizzes and Canvas Quizzes.

Here's my challenge to you. Commit to making your home a "grading-free zone" for one week. For that week, build in side-by-side grading opportunities in your class by creating a station-rotation or playlist that the students can complete independently. Choose an assessment that is skills-based and typically would take you hours to grade.While they are working, meet with individual students to provide feedback on their learning. Your students will receive meaningful feedback in a way that is sustainable for you. Honestly, who doesn't want to spend less time grading if it means their students are learning more?! I'd love to hear any grading "hacks" that you use in your own classroom. Please share them in the comments section below.

Last Post: New Twist on an Old Lesson: Theories of Emotion


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module