101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#4. If It Ain't Broke...

Historically, AP Psychology has been a very popular and successful class at our high school. I have had the pleasure of being involved with the program from day one.  The development of this program has challenged and inspired me.  Today, I was asked why I am proposing changes to a class that is for all intents and purposes working, and working well.  In other words, if it ain't broke, why fix it?


Here are some ways in which I think we might benefit from offering a blended course in addition to a traditional model;

1. Student Schedules - Most of my students are taking a rigorous course load.  In order to fit in all of their courses they sacrifice study halls and lunch.  They would benefit from having flexible periods built into their day where they could makeup tests, complete test corrections or receive tutoring.  The blended model will allow them to receive the same content as the traditional student, but allow them to meet some of their other needs within the school day.

2. Ownership of Learning - No one likes to be told what to do.  A blended model will allow for student choice in how and when assignments will be completed (within parameters).  By empowering the students to control their own learning, the ownership of the learning will shift from the teacher to the learner.   This shift should lead to increases in student achievement and satisfaction.
https://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2016/03/08/give-students-more-control-over-their-learning.html

3. Executive functioning skills & the "real" world - AP classes are designed to provide a college-level experience.  Most college classes do not meet for 45 minutes, 5 times per week.  If this class is to truly be a bridge between high school and college, shouldn't it also prepare students for what a college class is like not just the college curriculum?  I believe that this class could  bridge the divide between high school and college by developing skills that are essential to collegiate success including organization, time management, digital literacy and collaboration.

4. Professional growth - This reason is all about me.  As an educator, I think it is important that I challenge myself and constantly seek out ways to improve my current practices.  This involves me stepping outside of my comfort zone and taking chances.

5. Lastly, what if "good" could be "great?"  According to James C. Collins,

“Good is the enemy of great. And that is one of the key reasons why we have so little that becomes great. We don't have great schools, principally because we have good schools. We don't have great government, principally because we have good government. Few people attain great lives, in large part because it is just so easy to settle for a good life.” James C. CollinsGood to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
My current practices have been very effective.  I love teaching AP Psychology, my students enjoy taking the class, and our scores are well above the national mean.  But, I have to ask myself
What Can I Do to Make it Even Better?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module