101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#90: Providing Feedback: What's the Purpose?

This is Part 1 in a series about providing meaningful feedback for students in a way that is sustainable for teachers.

Confession time. I will do just about anything to avoid grading. Fix the copier? Done. Emergency sub needed? I've got you covered. An IEP meeting? Sign me up. Grading should be one of the most rewarding parts of my job. The students get to show what they have learned and how they have grown as the result of my class. It doesn't get much more meaningful than that! But, it isn't always rewarding. It's stressful and it gets crowded out by everything else on my to-do list.

Time is a Finite Resource
It's not that I hate reviewing my students' work. It can be one of the most rewarding parts of my job. I am continually amazed by their creativity, talent and hardwork. But, it can also be a logistical nightmare. Let's say an average high school teacher teaches 150 students per day. If that teacher were to grade one assignment for each student every day - even if it was only one minute each - it would mean an additional 2.5 hours of work per day. This is in addition to lesson planning, meetings, making copies, etc. So, for this series I am digging deep to find some solutions. This series will explore ways to leverage what limited time you do have to provide feedback that is meaningful to the students in a way that is sustainable for you.

The Difference between Feedback and Grading
Feedback matters. It provides students with information regarding their growth. It also provides us with information regarding their learning and the effectiveness of our instruction. However, we need to delineate between providing feedback and the practice of grading.
  • Feedback: Feedback should be offered during the learning process. It provides students with information regarding their progress towards their learning goals. Effective feedback is provided regularly, in a timely fashion, and is clear.
  • Grading: Grading is a measurement of what was learned. It offers feedback on the student's performance in relation to specific goals and standards.
Both are an integral part of the learning process but "not all feedback is accompanied by a grade, but effective grades provide students with feedback" (Grading and Feedback, 2020). These practices are complementary in nature but frequently confused.

What's the Point?
I am going to share one of the most liberating things that I have learned in the last year. Are you ready? You do not have to grade everything. As I began my research for this series, I came across a post by Catlin Tucker addressing the purpose of grading. Her post made me consider the following question; ``Why am I grading this?". I had never really asked myself this question before. I just graded what my students turned in! What I have learned is that the purpose of the work assigned helps to determine what type of feedback that should be given and IF a grade should be assigned.

Tucker breaks the type of assignments down into three categories; (1) practice, (2) work towards a project, and (3) the assessment or finished product. Read the descriptions below and see if you can identify examples of each type of work in your own classroom.
  1. Practice: This includes reading assignments, vocabulary review, in-class activities, etc. It is the initial exposure to the content. This work does not need specific feedback or a grade. Instead, the students can engage in self-assessment. This helps them become more self-sufficient learners. 
  2. Progress: This is where the bulk of the time providing feedback should be spent. It's where the learning is actually happening. I'll share some ways to provide focused feedback throughout this series.
  3. Product: This is the end product. It can be graded with a clear rubric, no additional feedback is needed. Why? Because the feedback has already been provided throughout the learning process.
Here's a link to Tucker's podcast episode on this topic. I highly suggest listening to it if you are struggling with your grading load.

Well, it turns out that I had been investing my time in the wrong place! I can't count the number of times that I handed back a summative assignment that I had painstakingly provided detailed feedback on only for the student to throw it away without even looking at it! Why? Because that's not where the feedback was most meaningful. They needed it during the learning process, not after!

In my next post, I will share some ideas for making feedback more meaningful for the students in a way that maximizes your time. I'd love to hear how you provide your students with feedback! Please drop any feedback or grading tips or tricks in the comments below.

Be Well,
Cori

Previous Posts:

#85 Building Tenacity: It's All About the Mindset

#86 Building Tenacity: It's All About the Goals

#88 Building Tenacity: It's All About Self-Regulation

#89 Building Tenacity: It's All About Belongingness


Resources:

Gonzalez, J. (2021, August 19). Meet the single point rubric. Cult of Pedagogy. Retrieved January 5, 2023, from https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/single-point-rubric/

Gonzalez, J. (2021, November 18). Moving from feedback to Feedforward. Cult of Pedagogy. Retrieved January 5, 2023, from https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/feedforward/

Grading & Feedback. Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning. (2020, January 14). Retrieved January 5, 2023, from https://dcal.dartmouth.edu/resources/evaluating-student-learning/grading-feedback

How do I use mastery paths in course modules? Instructure. (2022, December 17). Retrieved January 5, 2023, from https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-use-Mastery-Paths-in-course-modules/ta-p/906

Louden, K. (2021, August 19). Delaying the grade: How to get students to read feedback. Cult of Pedagogy. Retrieved January 5, 2023, from https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/delayed-grade

Stuart , D. (2020, September 4). How (and why) to leave audio feedback on student work this year, whether during in-person or distance learning. Dave Stuart Jr. Retrieved January 5, 2023, from https://davestuartjr.com/how-and-why-to-leave-audio-feedback-on-student-work-distance-learning/

Tucker, Catlin (2022). Side-by-side assessments: Grading with students. Dr Catlin Tucker. Retrieved January 5, 2023, from https://catlintucker.com/2022/05/side-by-side-assessments/




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych