Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
#74: Student Well-Being: The Science of Learning
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
This is PART 6 in a series on student well-being. Throughout this series, I will explore what recent research has revealed about ways to create an environment in which all students can thrive.
In my last post, I introduced the term academic tenacity. Academic Tenacity consists of the mindset and skills that allow students to focus on long-term or higher order goals. It's about working hard, working smart, and working for a long time. These skills are one piece of the achievement puzzle. There are several other cognitive factors that influence student achievement. Let's take a closer look at what the research says about how people learn and ways to apply it to the real-world classroom.
Before we dive in, I'd like you to take a moment to reflect on the following questions. Be honest, I won't make you share!
How do you teach?
Why do you teach this way?
Does it work?
How do you know if it works?
Did you find these questions to be challenging? I certainly did. I could easily tell you WHAT I teach, but HOW I teach and WHY I teach that way is much more difficult to answer. Quite honestly, most teacher education programs don't teach teachers how students learn! Luckily, there is some excellent research out there about this very topic.
Make Learning Stick If you are looking for a great book about student learning, check out Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning. In this book, cognitive scientists present key research about student learning and demonstrate how the findings can be applied directly to the classroom. The authors make the following claims:
1. Learning is a lifelong skill. We can purposefully cultivate growth in our learning using empirically-supported strategies. 2. Learning is deeper and more durable when it's effortful. Learning is hard work and there are no shortcuts. 3. We are poor judges of our own learning. We often think we know more than we do. 4. The most popular learning strategies are often the least effective. Re-reading notes, cramming, and highlighting do little to improve long-term learning. 5. Help is out there! There are scientists who are dedicated to studying how people learn. There are simple changes that can be made to everyday instruction that would yield huge benefits!
The Basics: Memory and Learning At its most basic level, learning is a memory that has persisted over time. It is an event, skill, or experience that has been stored and can later be retrieved. We can't talk about learning without talking about memory. There are four stages of memory processing; attention, encoding, storage, and retrieval. First, to learn we must pay attention. The job of your sensory memory is to sort out all of the information that you receive at any given time and to direct your attention. Secondly, our working memory has a limited capacity and duration. Take a closer look at the cartoon on the right of your screen. Can you relate? I know I certainly can! Researchers estimate that we can hold between 5-9 pieces of information in our working memory at one time. Thirdly, for a memory to endure it has to be stored in long-term memory. There is no known limit to the amount of information that can be stored in our LTM. Lastly, how we store information matters. Our brain is wired to make connections. Learning changes the physical structure of the brain.
One of the most amazing things about the human brain is its ability to modify, change, and adapt throughout our life. This process is called neuroplasticity. When we learn we are changing the physical structure of our brains. How cool is that?? Take a moment to watch the video below. I am in awe every time I see it. This is footage of neurons (brain cells) making connections with other neurons in the brain. It is the physical manifestation of learning!
A Few Takeaways
Don't assume that students are able to accurately gauge their own learning.
Don't assume that students know how to study.
Do share with your students how their memory works.
Do provide your students with research-based strategies that leverage how they learn.
In my next post, I will share 4 "Power Tools" that will help you leverage the psychology of learning in your own classroom. In the meantime, if you are looking for a great book (or two) to read this summer I recommend checking out the following books about the psychology of learning.
Agarwal, P. (n.d.). Unleash the science of Learning – Retrieval Practice. Unleash Learning. Retrieved May 26, 2022, from https://www.retrievalpractice.org/
Agarwal, P. K., & Bain, P. M. (2019). Powerful teaching: Unleash the science of learning. Jossey-Bass.
BROWN, P. E. T. E. R. C. (2018). Make it stick: The science of successful learning. BELKNAP HARVARD.
Powerful teaching: Unleash the science of learning. Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning. (n.d.). Retrieved May 26, 2022, from https://www.powerfulteaching.org/
Weinstein, Y., Madan, C. R., & Sumeracki, M. A. (2018). Teaching the science of learning. Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications, 3(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s41235-017-0087-y
Assessing student understanding is a complex process even in the best of times. Testing during a pandemic adds a whole other set of variables and challenges. In this post, I will share how remote instruction has fundamentally changed the way that I view assessment. What is the PURPOSE of assessment? There are two types of assessments that can be used to inform instruction; formative and summative. Formative assessments monitor student learning and provide feedback to the student to improve their performance. It is an integral part of the learning process. Summative assessments measure student learning at the end of the learning process. They are typically high-stakes and might include mid-term exams, papers etc. When I am developing any assessment I ask myself the following questions: What do I want my students to know or be able to do as a result of this lesson? How will I know if they have mastered the learning? In the past, I have used a variety of formative asses...
NCSS 2018 HOLY SMOKES! The NCSS Conference was amazing!! Seriously, it was some of the best professional development that I have ever received. It was truly inspiring to be surrounded by such passionate educators. I was able to re-connect with old friends, finally meet people who I "knew" but had never met in person and establish new connections with teachers who are currently, or will soon be, teaching blended AP Psych. The presentation options were limitless. I spent most of the first day in the designated psych room but was able to stretch my legs and see an entertaining presentation by a NPR host, Peter Sagal. He is hilarious! If you have not attended NCSS before, I highly suggest that you look into it for next year. On a side note, if you are a psychology teacher, I highly recommend that you consider joining the NCSS Psychology community. It is $30 for a lifetime membership! You will receive acce...
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a...
Comments
Post a Comment