Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a...
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
#61: Connections Count: How Social Connections Protect Us
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
The holiday season is upon us! For many of us, the holiday season is a time of joy and celebration. For others of us, the holidays might be a little more bittersweet. Our joy might be brighter, but our losses are also more poignant.
This past week I suffered the loss of a longtime friend. The sense of grief accompanying this loss is tremendous and, at times, paralyzing. As I sifted through old photos looking for images to share with this family, I was gifted with a sense of peace and thanksgiving for the friendships that I have been blessed with throughout all of these years. For that, I am grateful. This post is meant to be one of encouragement for those of you who might be struggling or know someone who is. It is about the power of social connections and relationships during times of challenge.
Our relationships and social connections can provide us with a physiological and psychological buffer against stress. In the TED talk, How to Make Stress Your Friend, Kelly McGonigal shares what she learned about how stress can cause us to seek out supportive relationships and how that, in turn, protects us from the damaging effects of stress. I highly suggest that you take a few minutes to learn more about her work by watching her TED talk.
Stress affects the body through the release of neurohormones like epinephrine. Epinephrine (adrenaline) helps your body respond to perceived dangers. It increases your heart rate, blood pressure, and even alters how your body metabolizes sugar. For me, stress is felt in the pounding of my heart, the constriction of my throat, and the lead ball sitting in my stomach. I've always been afraid of embracing stress in my life. The research is clear on the negative effects of chronic stress and cardiovascular health. However, this research doesn't tell the whole story...
What I didn't know is that stress actually triggers the release of another neurohormone, oxytocin. This begs the question, why would the brain release the so-called "cuddle hormone" during times in which we feel threatened? It turns out that in these situations oxytocin prods us to seek out social support and connections during times of stress. It not only makes us more likely to seek out help, it also leads us to help others in need. In addition, oxytocin protects the cardiovascular system from the negative effects of stress. It is a natural anti-inflammatory that can actually help the heart heal from stress-induced damage. Our body has a built-in mechanism designed to help support us in our times of greatest need.
Social connections sustain us in good times and bad. A sense of belonging is a core psychological need. According to Maslow, the importance of feeling loved and a sense of belonging is key to our self-actualization. Psychology offers insights into how we can foster a sense of belonging in our own lives.
“Resonant relationships are like emotional vitamins, sustaining us through tough times and nourishing us daily,”
Daniel Goleman in Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships.
The Greater Good Science Center offers some excellent resources about ways to cultivate social connections. Here are some specific, science-based activities for cultivating connection that you can use individually or maybe even with your students.
Social connections are one piece of the well-being puzzle. Cultivating gratitude, empathy, altruism, compassion, and forgiveness will enhance your well-being across all the different areas of your life. These interventions are not a panacea. They will not make the hurt and pain go away but they will sustain us and help us move forward. I am wishing you all peace, comfort, and joy throughout the upcoming holiday season.
Assessing student understanding is a complex process even in the best of times. Testing during a pandemic adds a whole other set of variables and challenges. In this post, I will share how remote instruction has fundamentally changed the way that I view assessment. What is the PURPOSE of assessment? There are two types of assessments that can be used to inform instruction; formative and summative. Formative assessments monitor student learning and provide feedback to the student to improve their performance. It is an integral part of the learning process. Summative assessments measure student learning at the end of the learning process. They are typically high-stakes and might include mid-term exams, papers etc. When I am developing any assessment I ask myself the following questions: What do I want my students to know or be able to do as a result of this lesson? How will I know if they have mastered the learning? In the past, I have used a variety of formative asses...
NCSS 2018 HOLY SMOKES! The NCSS Conference was amazing!! Seriously, it was some of the best professional development that I have ever received. It was truly inspiring to be surrounded by such passionate educators. I was able to re-connect with old friends, finally meet people who I "knew" but had never met in person and establish new connections with teachers who are currently, or will soon be, teaching blended AP Psych. The presentation options were limitless. I spent most of the first day in the designated psych room but was able to stretch my legs and see an entertaining presentation by a NPR host, Peter Sagal. He is hilarious! If you have not attended NCSS before, I highly suggest that you look into it for next year. On a side note, if you are a psychology teacher, I highly recommend that you consider joining the NCSS Psychology community. It is $30 for a lifetime membership! You will receive acce...
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a...
Comments
Post a Comment