101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#57: Glimmers of Gratitude: The Importance of Being Present


Earlier this week I stumbled across the following quote,"My life has been enriched from talking with you"(Manning, 1990, p. 81). I spent a great deal of time reflecting on this quote and it's meaning in my life. I wondered, "Do my students leave my classroom knowing that they have enriched my life? 

In order for this to occur, it is imperative that I be fully present with my students and that my time with them is truly a gift. I became acutely aware of this during remote instruction as I deeply missed my students' presence. However, even having come to this realization, I still really struggle with being fully present during my time with them. Like many of you, I am a "do-er." I love to make lists, cross things off my lists, and add new things to my lists and move on. Productivity is important but the downside to this "do-er" mentality is that I can become so future-focused that I look past what is happening right in front of me. The type of connection described in this quote is only possible when one is fully engaged in the moment. In this post, I am going to explore some strategies designed to foster a sense of gratitude and a savoring of each moment that we share with others.

How powerful would it be if every single one of our students left our classroom believing that they enriched not only our lives as teachers but each other's lives as well?

Sonja Lyubomirsky is a professor of psychology who researches human happiness. Her research is focused on the following three questions:
1. What makes people happy?
2. Is happiness a good thing?
3. How and why can people learn to lead happier and more flourishing lives?

According to Lyubomirsky, there are three primary factors that determine happiness:
  • Set Point: A genetic "happiness" set point determined by our genes accounts for 40% of overall happiness. Some people are just naturally happier than others.
  • Life Circumstances: A person's life circumstances, such as income or health, accounts for 10% of overall happiness.
  • Intentional Activity: What a person thinks and does accounts for 40% of overall happiness. This is a lot of untapped potential!
Lyubomirsky called this the "40 Percent Solution." Although it may be impossible to change one's genes or even life circumstances, it is possible to change one's thoughts and behavior. Her body of research explores different ways to increase happiness through the use of intentional activity (Lyubomirsky, 2007, p. 20-22).

According to Lyubomirsky (and many, many others) gratitude is one intentional activity that has been scientifically proven to increase well-being. Gratitude can mean many things to many different people. Robert Emmons, a leading researcher in the field of gratitude, defines gratitude as "a felt sense of wonder, thankfulness, and appreciation for your life" (Lyubomirsky, 2007, p. 89). It is present-orientated; it's an appreciation of your life as it is today. When we express gratitude to others we are sharing how they have enriched our lives. Take a moment to consider, in what ways do you express gratitude to those around you? How do you like to express gratitude? Is this a strength of yours or is it still developing?

There are a number of interventions shown to increase gratitude such as Three Good Things, gratitude letters and visits, and journaling. However, today I am going to focus on the oft forgotten, unsung hero of gratitude, Savoring. According to Lyubomirsky (2007), savoring the present moment is an essential component of gratitude. It involves being mindful of, and relishing in, the present moment. There are a number of benefits to being grateful for life's moments. People who consistently practice gratitude are happier, more energetic, more hopeful and experience more frequent positive emotions than those who do not (p. 90). There are a number of ways that you can foster gratitude in your own classroom and in your school community. Both of the strategies below will work for people of all ages.

1. Thankful Circle: This activity is appropriate for students and adults. Ask your participants to think about their interactions with the group in the previous week and identify something that another person in the group did that may have gone unnoticed or underappreciated. The individuals can then share their moments of gratitude with the group. The moments should be direct, limited in focus, and as specific as possible.

2. Gratitude Circle Reflection: This is similar to the "Thankful Circle" but instead of sharing out specific acts of kindness the participant reflects on the school community as a whole. Participants are asked to journal about the many people in their lives that they depend on. As an extension, participants can meet in small groups and share one person from their list and why they are grateful for them.

Are you interested in learning more about the practice of gratitude? Check out this five minute video by a leading researcher in the field, Robert Emmons.


I am in the process of embedding more positive psychology into my AP Psychology course. This year I have committed to teaching a positive psychology related lesson between each primary unit. At the end of our first unit my students completed a strengths inventory. I was blown away by the "best moments" that they shared. I felt an immense sense of gratitude for their willingness to share their experiences and was able to build deeper connections with them based on what I learned. The stories that they shared truly enriched my life. I am already looking forward to my next mini-lesson in which we will explore the power of mindfulness. Be sure to subscribe to my blog if you want to be notified when it posts!

I would love to hear about how you foster gratitude in your life. Please share in the comments below. I am truly grateful for your attention and encouragement.

In gratitude,
Cori

Last Post: #56 Back to School: Teaching Adults the Psychology of Learning

Next Post: #57 A Mindfulness Intervention

References:

Gratitude definition: What is gratitude. Greater Good. (n.d.). Retrieved September 21, 2021, from https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/gratitude/definition#how-cultivate-gratitude.

Manning, B. (1990). The ragamuffin gospel: Good news for the bedraggled, beat-up, and burnt out. Amazon. Retrieved September 22, 2021, from https://www.amazon.com/Ragamuffin-Gospel-Bedraggled-Beat-Up-Burnt/dp/1590525027.

Lyubomirsky, S. (2013). The how of happiness: A practical guide to getting the life you want. Piatkus.

SONJA LYUBOMIRSKY. Sonja Lyubomirsky. (n.d.). Retrieved September 21, 2021, from http://sonjalyubomirsky.com/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych