101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#43. The Case for Mastery Checks

Assessing student understanding is a complex process even in the best of times. Testing during a pandemic adds a whole other set of variables and challenges. In this post, I will share how remote instruction has fundamentally changed the way that I view assessment. 

What is the PURPOSE of assessment?

There are two types of assessments that can be used to inform instruction; formative and summative. 
Formative assessments monitor student learning and provide feedback to the student to improve their performance. It is an integral part of the learning process. Summative assessments measure student learning at the end of the learning process. They are typically high-stakes and might include mid-term exams, papers etc.


When I am developing any assessment I ask myself the following questions:
  • What do I want my students to know or be able to do as a result of this lesson?
  • How will I know if they have mastered the learning?
In the past, I have used a variety of formative assessments throughout my units including, but not limited to, discussions, practice quizzes, worksheets etc. However, my summative assessments tended to be very rigid. I required each student to take a unit exam that consisted of multiple choice questions and a free-response question. This was purposefully designed to mimic the format of the AP exam that they would take in May.

Like every other teacher out there, 2020 threw a wrench into my plans. 
I still need to know if they learned the information covered in class but I cannot rely on many of the methods that I have used in the past to determine this. During "normal'' years, I am able to spot check their work, address misconceptions on the spot , respond to their non-verbal cues and carefully monitor their in-person test taking environment for summative assessments. I cannot do any of these things while teaching remotely, which left me with a big problem!

How did teaching remotely CHANGE the way I view assessment?
At the beginning of this year, I tried a number of ways to control the remote testing environment. I implemented timed tests, used different versions of test questions, and asked them to have their mics and cameras on. However, I realized I was not necessarily measuring their mastery of the material. I found that, sometimes, I was measuring how creatively they could cheat! Even in person, I cannot control cheating 100% of the time; while teaching remotely, I had to give up whatever limited control that I had previously over the environment.

I do not profess to have all of the solutions to this very complex problem. However, I have found that moving from UNIT TESTS to MASTERY CHECKS has had a positive impact in my classroom. I first learned about Mastery Checks when I took the Modern Classrooms Project training course this past summer. A Mastery Check is a mastery-based assessment which measures the students comprehension of the material covered in class. A key tenet of this form of assessment is that the student does not move on until mastery has been demonstrated.

In my class, for students to be eligible for a Mastery Check they are required to complete a set of "must-do" assignments. I have the ability to lock assessments in our LMS, Canvas, until the "must-do lessons" and/or prerequisites have been met. For example, my Learning Unit had 3 different mastery checks covering classical conditioning, operant conditioning and observational learning. The students had to complete both the lectures and practice problems before attempting to take the mastery check. Are you interested in learning more about a self-paced, mastery-based classroom? That's what my next post is all about and if you subscribe to this blog, it will be delivered straight to your inbox.

Clarification: I received a number of questions regarding the role of summative assessments in my classroom. I will incorporate summative assessments into my classroom next year. These assessments will be cumulative and the students will not be given the opportunity to retake them. However, I teach an AP class. My students take the mother-of-all summative assessments each spring. I emphasize the importance of the mastery checks being part of the learning process. They are ultimately responsible for their learning, not me. If they cut corners now and cheat then they will be paying the price in May.

What are the BENEFITS of Mastery Checks?
  • Students are less stressed about the assessments. Stress is detrimental to the learning process. Let's face it 2020 has been stressful enough without adding in any additional stressors!
  • Students are less likely to cheat because the assessment has lower-stakes. This means that I also have a better understanding of what they know - and what they don't understand. Mastery assessment means that they can take it until they demonstrate their understanding of the material. They can always re-assess, if needed.
  • It supports other research-based practices like retrieval practice. Although my Mastery Checks might be smaller, I am still challenging my students to retrieve and consolidate all of the information from the unit. I then use retrieval practice strategies in class to review the information throughout the year.
Many years ago I read the book 7 Habits of Highly Successful People and Habit 2 has always resonated with me; Begin with the End in Mind. As I began to reexamine the way that I assess students I asked myself how can I create an assessment that is an accurate measure of a student's learning in a way that is sustainable for me as a teacher. If you would like to learn more about the Modern Classrooms Project, I highly suggest you take their FREE online training. You can also read about my experiences and what I learned about it in this post: Modern Classrooms - A Practical Guide. I would love to hear more about how you have changed your assessment practices this year - and if you plan on making those changes a permanent part of your teaching.

Last Post: Growth through Virtues

Next Post: Utilizing Self-Pacing to Build Student Efficacy




Comments

  1. I am intrigued. However, how do you know the students are simply copying the answers to the Mastery Checks you design? Seems to me, the this is making alot more work for teachers and much less accountability/work for students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great question! One way that I limit cheating is by giving each student a different version of each mastery check. I use Canvas and can pull from a group of questions. I also try to eliminate the incentive for cheating. They know they can take it more than once. This also leads into an important discussion about learning. I emphasize that forgetting is a part of learning and normalize it. If they don't know it on the mastery check then they need to learn it. That is what I am there for - to support them. Plus, if they cheat, they are the ones who will suffer and not get the score they want on their AP exam.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module