101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#36. Back to Basics

We are currently on track to return to modified in-person instruction in October.  My district is using a hybrid model in which the students will be alternating between in-person and online instruction.  In this blog post, I will share an easy way to start the planning process when your students are attending both in-person and online.


Backwards Design

I use the process of backwards design to guide my redesign.  I identify what the students need to know by the end of the unit  and determine how I can measure if they learned it or not.   Once I have determined what I need to teach, I can identify the most appropriate and engaging ways to share the content.  I use a tool called a "Mix Map" to help me visualize this process. It provides a snapshot of how the class or unit is currently balanced and it allows me to identify redesign opportunities.


There are three steps to this process:

1. Classification: Classify the elements of each lesson element according to how they have been taught in the past.

2. Prioritization: Determine if there are any "must-do" lessons in a specific modality.   

3. Engagement: Identify where the students have struggled in the past and look for opportunities to redesign these learning experiences to better meet the needs of my students.  


Mix Map


I will be starting my Sensation and Perception unit when we move to hybrid instruction.  To begin preparing for this shift I created a Mix Map based on the unit I taught last year.  A 
Mix Map is a template that provides a space for me to list face to face learning activities, online learning activities and activities that can occur in person or online.  Here is what my Mix Map looked like using last year's unit design. 

After classifying each activity, I brainstormed which activities needed to be revised.  From this list, I created some "must-haves" for in-person and online instruction.  For example, I want to do the "Perceptual Organization" presentation in class because we use Pear Deck to draw and compare different logos.  It's fun to see everyone's results in real-time!  On the flip side, there are certain lessons that I thought should be moved online.  In the past my students have really struggled with the anatomy of the eye and ear.  I want to flip these lessons so the students can access the presentation at any time.  I have shared an overview of my first week below to help you see the flow of the lessons.

If you are looking for more information about how to get started blending your class, I highly suggest you check out the Blended Learning Toolkit. There are a ton of great resources available that will help you design your course from start to finish in five steps. My students are given the option to return in the hybrid model or stay fully remote. In my next post I will explore how to create an engaging and equitable learning environment for my remote learners living in a hybrid world.


Please let me know if you have any questions or comments! I'd love to hear about how you are shifting to a more blended approach in your own classroom.


Resources:

https://citl.illinois.edu/citl-101/teaching-learning/resources/transitioning-online/teaching-tips-articles/teaching-tips/2020/09/15/tips-for-transitioning-to-a-blended-course

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module