101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#20. Utilizing the Station Rotation Model for the 1st Day of Class

I cannot wait to welcome my new students to class next week!  The beginning of each year is filled with excitement, promise, and a wee bit of awkwardness.  For me, the first day of school is typically filled with class policies and procedures.  By the end of the first day, I can practically see my students' eyes roll back in their heads the moment they hear the word "syllabus."  Not exactly the most auspicious of starts, right?  This year I am flipping my 1st day lesson on it's head and implementing the Station-Rotation model of blended learning to present my course policies, procedures and student introductions.

The practice of stations, as an instructional tool, has been around a long time.  The Station-Rotation model operates on the same general principles; the students rotate between different activities in a set period of time.  The Station-Rotation model differs from traditional stations in that at least one of the stations is an online learning station.  You can learn more about the different models of blended learning here.

Last year, I had the privilege of attending the National Conference for the Social Studies (NCSS) held in Chicago, IL.  I attended a session called "Psychology Stations on Stations" presented by Jen Schlicht, Stephanie Franks, Heather Chambers and Allison Shaver.  They shared some wonderful station ideas for increasing student understanding of cognitive processes, research methods, consciousness and different review ideas.  I also learned how to utilize stations during the first few days of class as a means to increase student interest and engagement.   Heather Chambers (@irishteach) generously shared her first days stations with me, I tweaked them to fit my school's unique needs and would love to share with you what I will be doing this year! 
Side Note:  For $30, you can join the NCSS Psychology Community.  It is a lifetime membership and you receive access to all of the past NCSS Psychology conference presentations!

Station Overview:  This lesson is designed to take place over a two day period.  My class periods are 45 minutes long; therefore, each station will take approximately 15 minutes.  The first day of school will include a brief introduction to the course and the students will be placed into 5 groups.  They will rotate through two stations on the 1st day of class and the remaining three stations on the 2nd day of class.  Here is a link to the google presentation.

Station 1: The Cube- A Projective Test 
The students are provided the following instructions: A projective test is designed to peek under the surface of your conscious awareness.  This test will ask you to answer a series of questions and make determinations about your personality based on your answers.  I would like you to evaluate the accuracy of the results.  This will also allow me to get to know you better!  

After watching the video, the students answer the following questions:
1. Grade level?
2. First AP course?
3. Evaluation: Which traits were accurate?
4. Evaluation: Which traits were inaccurate?
5. Why did you decide to take AP Psychology?
6. What are the qualities that you look for in a teacher?
7. What are you passionate about?
8. What does success in this class look like to you?

Station 2:  Syllabus
Each student will receive a handout designed to help them navigate the stations.  At this station, the students will explore the class syllabus and answer questions regarding my grading policy, the principles of learning, and flex day requirements.

Station 3: Canvas -Settings and Navigation
At this station, the students will explore the layout and functionalities of Canvas.  They will also set their account settings and notifications.  Canvas is just being rolled out at my high school.  The students have had little or no experience with the platform prior to my class.

Station 4: Class Introduction
At this station, each students will take a picture of him or herself and post it on our class padlet.  They also have a series of questions to answer in his or her post. 

Station 5: Schmooze with Schwarzrock
At this station, the students will meet with me to play a game called "This or That?"  You can choose the topics that best fit your class here or create your own! One thing that I LOVE about the Station-Rotation model is that it allows me to meet with my students in small groups and get to know their individual needs and interests.  

I hope that you have found this post to be helpful!  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.  

Thanks,
Cori

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module