101. The Transformative Power of AI

Image
Folks, let’s face it. Our classrooms are going to look a little different this year. AI, specifically ChatGPT, is going to change the way we design learning experiences and assess student mastery. I’ll be honest, when I first explored the ChatGPT platform I was terrified. As I have dug deeper into the technology and its capabilities, I realized that while it does pose significant challenges — it also presents us with some pretty amazing opportunities. In this series, we will explore what AI is capable of, its implications in the classroom, and how it can benefit both teachers and students. Let’s start by examining where we have been, where we are currently, and looking forward to where we are going. Whether this is a trip you wanted to go on or not, the AI train has left the station and it is time for all of us to jump on board. From Card Catalogs to Artificial Intelligence I belong to the micro-generation called Xennial. Xennials are considered to be a “bridge” between Generation X a

#1. How Might We?

How Might We?

Every year our district celebrates the beginning of a new school year by gathering the faculty of all four of our high schools together for breakfast and a "welcome back" speech.  Usually, it is full of... data.  This year, it was a little different.  There was nary a number to be found.  Instead, we were issued a challenge.  We were asked to consider, "How might we?"  At first, I thought that we would be told "how we might", but it soon became clear that this was a genuine question and call to action for meaningful change.  It signaled an environment in which innovation was encouraged and failure was, at times, to be expected.  It led me to question IF my current practices  are the BEST practices for my students or if there is a way that I can re-design my curriculum to better meet their needs both within and outside of the classroom walls.

Like many districts nationwide, our district is implementing 1:1 and exploring a personalized curriculum.  I will be the first to admit that I do not easily embrace change.  Change is hard and, when you have a system that works, it is very, very scary.  I have spent the last two years exploring how to utilize technology in a meaningful way within my classroom and I am now ready to build on this by exploring the use of technology outside of the traditional classroom walls.   Guiding my journey are the following questions;

  • How can I make 1:1 and personalized learning more than "buzz words"?  
  • What opportunities can these initiatives  afford us?
  • How can I use these tools to better reach my students?
  • How can I use these tools to increase student accountability, executive functioning and responsibility?

I currently teach AP Psychology in a traditional schedule.  We meet for 45 minutes per day for 5 days per week.  I have been teaching AP Psychology for the last six years and have been teaching social science for the last sixteen years.  I have been at the same high school for my entire teaching career. AP Psychology is an elective class open to sophomore through senior students.  We have between 6 and 8 sections each  year.  It is taught in a year-long format.  It is one of the most popular and successful courses offered at our high school.  In my opinion, the students  are naturally drawn to the content and find it easily relatable.  In addition, the year long format  allows us to explore the material at a more leisurely rate.  We also have a high pass rate ranging from 85-99% depending on the year.  Due to the popularity of the class, as well as the students' academic success with the material, I thought that it would be an excellent opportunity to examine "how we might" make it even better.

Our district mission statement states that, "For each student, we will inspire a love for learning, empower the pursuit of personal aspirations, and nurture a desire to contribute to the world."  My goal for both my traditional and blended model course is that the students learn more about themselves and the world around them.  My hope is that the new model will offer more opportunities for each student to personalize their learning journey.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#47. Playing with Playlists: Clinical Psych

#23. Tackling Testing and Individual Differences Using Station-Rotation

#66. Special Edition: APA Positive Psychology TOPSS Module